The Aimia | AGO Photography Prize Scholarship Program awards three $7,000 CAD scholarships each year to students entering the final year of study toward Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees with a focus or major in photography at select Canadian academic institutions. The University of Manitoba is among the 16 participating institutions, so get your application in!
The Scholarships are awarded to students working in photography who have shown extraordinary potential throughout their undergraduate studies. For the purposes of the scholarship, “photography” can encompass any lens-based media, including video.
Submitting an application: Students will be asked to submit a 250-word artistic statement, summarizing their practice and offering contextual information about their portfolio. Their portfolio can include:
- Up to 15 .jpeg images, uploaded to the scholarship website.
- Up to 2 video works with a total running time of no more than 5 minutes, uploaded to Vimeo.
- Full credit information for each work, including artist’s name, title, date and medium and dimensions.
Here is the full online application form.
How is the decision made?
- Each institution will form a jury of 3 faculty members to select a finalist to represent their university. Their selection is to be submitted by April 21, 2017.
- The faculty will notify all students who applied of their selection after April 21, 2017.
- The scholarship jury will be composed of the AGO’s Lead Curator of the AIMIA | AGO Photography Prize, the previous year’s winner of the AIMIA | AGO Photography Prize, and an external curator.
- The winning students, finalists and faculties will be notified of the jury’s selections in June 2017. A press release will be issued announcing the 3 winners, with a link to their works on the prize website.