Call for Submissions: Illuminate the Night for Nuit Blanche Winnipeg 2019
Deadline Extended to May 15, 2019
Nuit Blanche Winnipeg writes:
Illuminate the Night is an Open Call that invites contemporary art submissions from artists and artist collectives residing in Canada to be exhibited at the 10th annual Nuit Blanche Winnipeg: Saturday, September 28, 2019.
Nuit Blanche Winnipeg is a free evening exploration and celebration of contemporary art that takes place on the last Saturday in September as part of Winnipeg’s Culture Days weekend. Nuit Blanche will run from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 midnight and is produced by Culture Days Manitoba in partnership with the Winnipeg Arts Council.
For 2019, Nuit Blanche is focusing on bringing bigger, brighter and more interactive art installations to provide attendees with a safe and inspiring experience. Illuminate the Night is an open call for artists and artist collectives residing in Canada to develop works connecting the primary activity zones of Old Market Square in the Exchange District and The Forks. Artists working in all artistic mediums are invited to submit projects which contemplate an exciting and engaging interpretation of the theme using public interaction, spectacle, and light/illumination.
- You are an individual artist or you are submitting on behalf of an artists’ collective
- You currently reside in Canada
- You agree to install your own work and be present at Nuit Blanche Winnipeg
- You agree to allow images of you and your work to be used by and publicized as part of Nuit Blanche Winnipeg, Culture Days Manitoba and the Winnipeg Arts Council
- Incorporated organizations including galleries and artist run centres are NOT eligible to submit
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Carefully review all sections of the online submission form before beginning. The form is a combination of fields that must be filled in online and documents you will need to upload. See “Required Application Materials” below.
- Attach up to eight supporting image attachments (jpeg files, 1MB each max).
- Attach up to two audio/video links (5 min max). If your audio/video submission is part of a longer file.
- Indicate start and end times.
ASSESSMENT CRITERIA & SELECTION
The Artistic Advisory Committee of Nuit Blanche Winnipeg will consider the following criteria and make recommendations for three proposals to be featured at Nuit Blanche Winnipeg 2019:
- Artistic merit of proposed project
- Potential to enhance the programming and public experience of Nuit Blanche Winnipeg
- Strength of supporting material and/or past projects
- Feasibility of the project, given time, location and budget restraints
- All installations/exhibits must be open throughout the entire event, September They must open before 6pm and remain open until 12 midnight.
- A unique and engaging interpretation of the theme of “Illuminate the Night”. Projects that utilize audience interaction, light and/or illumination are preferred.
Each selected project will receive an honorarium of up to $5,000, based on the budget included in the application. Half of the honorarium will be paid once project is chosen and an agreement is signed. The other half will be paid after the project is presented. Honorariums for Illuminate the Night are made possible by the Winnipeg Arts Council, Nuit Blanche Winnipeg’s Producing Partner. The Winnipeg Arts Council reserves the right to award fewer or more projects.
Illuminate the Night feature projects will create a pathway between two main anchor points: Old Market Square and The Forks. Proposals should contemplate locations between these two points running through the East Exchange District, and south along Waterfront Drive. NBW has not designated specific locations within this zone, and encourages proponents to be creative while also doing research on the feasibility of their proposed venue prior to submission. Past locations have included parks, alleyways, parking garages, storefronts, office buildings and sidewalks.
Applicants interested in using public spaces are expected to comply with all requirements set by the City of Winnipeg Film & Special Events Office. The Nuit Blanche Winnipeg Project Coordinator will be available to assist and advise on venue selection and in securing any necessary permits. Artists are encouraged make contact as soon as possible to determine if any permits are required.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
In addition to answering all questions required in the online submission form, a complete submission includes the following attachments:
- Project Description (Attach as Word/PDF file; 500 words max)
- Installation Details (Attach as Word/PDF file; 500 words max)
- Artist Bio (Attach as Word/PDF file; 1 page max)
- CVs for all artists (Attach as Word/PDF file; 3 pages TOTAL)
- Project Budget (Attach as Word/PDF file; 1 page max)
- Support Materials (Attach up to 8 digital images & 2 audio/video links; see online submission form for details)
- The submitted budget should include all costs for the project including fees for any artists involved.
- Any costs over and above the honorarium are the responsibility of the artist/collective. Applicants requiring additional funds should demonstrate how they can carry out the project as proposed if such funds are not realized.
- If the project includes a time sensitive performance, detail how many performances are planned and the length of each performance. Projects that only “go on” for one short performance are not encouraged.
- Projects must be free of charge; cover charges and entry fees are not permitted.
- The total audience for Nuit Blanche Winnipeg is in the range of 25,000 people throughout the night.
- Projects must be located the East Exchange District. See this map for approximate location.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- By submitting an application, you agree that you have read and agree to all guidelines.
- Selected artists/teams information including bios, images, and event details will be included in Nuit Blanche Winnipeg promotional materials and distributed to media. Artists are expected to participate in press events and/or interviews.
You will be notified by email no later than May 31, 2019 if your project has been chosen for Nuit Blanche Winnipeg 2019: Illuminate the Night.
For more information or any questions, contact:
Honorariums for Illuminate the Night are made possible by the Winnipeg Arts Council, Nuit Blanche Winnipeg’s Producing Partner.