TRAVEL TO THE AMAZON, CHILE, BELIZE OR NORTHERN MANITOBA!
Community Service Learning writes:
Reading Week, February 15-25, 2019 (10 days)
- Learn about natural building, plant-based medicine, permaculture and survival skills from an Indigenous collective in Ecuador.
- Experience the rainforest through an overnight hike, swim under a green waterfall and enjoy a misty sunrise in the heart of the Amazon!
- Discover the cobblestone streets of Quito and discover the architecture, music and cuisine of the Andes.
Summer, May-June 2019 (6 weeks)
- Learn how art can be used to promote social change in rural communities by supporting a collective of dancers who travel to remote islands to raise awareness about the impacts of salmon farming and deforestation in the Archipelago of Chiloé.
- Step into ancient forests, sublime mountains and wild oceans in the Patagonia.
- Walk through cathedrals, museums and art galleries in Santiago de Chile and bask in the sounds, sights and smells of South America.
Summer, June 2019 (2+ weeks)
Leaf Rapids: Northern Food Security (recommended as a 4+ week combined program with Belize: Maya Self-Determination)
- Gain an intimate perspective on everyday life in Northern Manitoba as we shop from the town’s only grocery store, live under a boil water advisory and experience the hospitality of local community members.
- Get your hands dirty in the greenhouse and garden as we learn about food security with the Indigenous youth leaders of Grow North.
- Discover the beauty of the boreal forest region – from the rich moss and tart cranberries under foot to the tall white birch on the shores of the Churchill River.
Summer, June/July 2019 (2+ weeks)
Belize: Maya Self-Determination (recommended as a 4+ week combined program with Leaf Rapids: Northern Food Security)
- Spend time with Maya Elders, youth and community leaders and hear firsthand about the ongoing fight for land rights and self-determination.
- Hike through the ecologically advanced forest farms of Q’eqchi’ Maya peoples, cook up a steaming pot of chicken caldo and taste each stage and many products of the chocolate-making process.
- Explore the flora and fauna in one of the world’s most diverse biospheres – from the world-famous Belize Zoo to the sandy beaches on the Caribbean Sea.
Travel Bursaries available to all U of M students!
Program fees are all-inclusive: airfare, accommodations, meals and more!
To apply and for more information
or email us at